Tuesday, June 16, 2015

Good Fortune Awaits


Up at eight this time, having had the first good night's sleep in a long time since my tent is buried in trees and the constant daylight is a little more muted. I spend time fixing my stove that has been an otherwise maintenance-free servant for over 15 years. I spend time talking to the third RV owner since last night, talked to the other bike rider next to me. Before I knew it, it's 10:30. So much for an early start. By the time I wait for the ferry crossing, it's 11:00 before I get rolling out of Dawson.

From here it's on to Whitehorse and coming back the way I came for a bit. But someone had mentioned the Campbell Highway. Never heard of it, haven't done it, okay then.

I get to Carmacks, YT just past the Campbell Highway turn-off and stop for lunch. I haven't had a shower since Deadhorse and I'm running out of clothes. I would have taken a shower in Fairbanks if Jared and I hadn't sat and drank coffee until 11:00 a. m. telling stories. I look at my iPhone campgrounds app, and all I see down the Campbell are primitive campgrounds with no showers and no laundry. Nah, I'm going to go to Whitehorse and clean up.

After a delicious lunch, I decide "fuck it". I came up here to ride roads, so I should go ride them. The bears won't care how I smell. So it's down the Campbell with a stench blowing behind me.

Speaking of bears, not 2 clicks down the Campbell and there stands baby bear at the side of the road watching me go by.

I'm at about my limit for my day, so I'll stop in Faro, YT and see what's there, then find a campground. Wait a minute. Do my eyes deceive me? It says there's an RV park and laundromat not 10K down the road. Oh, man, that worked out well. So as I type I'm clean again and waiting for my laundry to dry.

2 comments:

  1. Ah, bouncing ball says you are at the Sign Post Forest - the 8th Wonder of the World! Take a back seat, Brooks Range. Oh, kinda cute. We stayed an embarrassingly long time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, I cried, but is wasn't for the beauty. :-) Snapped my obligatory pic and got the hell out.

    ReplyDelete